World Factory provides countless opportunities for learning in schools and colleges. In addition to running a World Factory workshop, schools and teachers can access The Pattern.
METIS and Company of Angels have created The Pattern – a resource pack to accompany World Factory – aimed at KS3 and GCSE students and their teachers. The Pattern provides an exciting opportunity to explore issues around globalisation, based the global textile industry and the relationship between the UK and China.
Based on interactive technological tools, each pack is designed to be used in classrooms without the presence of an external facilitator.
The Pattern includes:
- The Shirt, with its accompanying app to be downloaded for your own iOS or Android devices.
- Three lesson plans offering suggestions for how the material can be used to teach the National Curriculum across three subject areas.
- Instructions for one classroom and one homework activity around the Digital Quilt, developing students’ independent online research skills.
- Further suggestions for classroom activities which will engage the students interactively with the material.
- Access to private panels on the Digital Quilt website – curating the library of research under topic headings, organising the material for teaching purposes.
Topics covered by The Pattern include:
- the Industrial Revolution
- Communist thought
- 20th century Chinese history and economics
- strikes and state control in China
- urban migration
- machines and manufacture
- working conditions and regulations the work of NGOs,
- sustainable fashion initiatives brands and marketing,
- the business of manufacture
- digital media
The pack is particularly relevant to teaching of the following subjects in the years leading up to GCSE:
Download workshop instructions
- Religious education
- Business studies
- Economics Citizenship studies
- Media studies Digital communication
- Design and technology